Cape Town was selected as the World Design Capital of the world for 2014. In preparation there is a call for submission for creative projects from Africa.
Four inspiring themes to make African creativity shine
AFRICAN INNOVATION. GLOBAL CONVERSATION.
African ideas that speak to the world.
- Any innovative, design-led project, policy, product or event that originated in Africa and that has global relevance.
- Unique solutions from a unique continent.
- African ideas that have been exported beyond the continent.
BRIDGING THE DIVIDE.
Design that reconnects our city and reconciles our communities.
- Projects that use design to bridge the historical divide between cultures and communities, across borders, between first and third worlds, north and south, town and township, advantaged and disadvantaged.
- Projects that use design as a tool for reconciliation.
- History and memory projects.
- Creative cross-sector partnerships.
- Collaborative projects that connect high and low tech, mass and bespoke, artisanal and technological, thinkers and makers.
- Urban and peri-urban renewal projects.
TODAY FOR TOMORROW.
Sustainable solutions for people and planet.
- ‘Green’, ‘brown’ and ‘blue’ sustainability projects.
- Projects that focus on human development, skills training and entrepreneurship.
- Education and job creation initiatives.
- Legacy projects that will continue beyond 2014.
BEAUTIFUL SPACES. BEAUTIFUL THINGS.
Inspiring architecture, interiors, food, fashion, jewellery, craft, art and creativity.
- All the beautiful things from our beautiful continent.
- Inspiring and original architecture, interiors, landscaping, food, furniture, fashion, jewellery, craft, art, publications, illustration, film, photography and more.
- Beautiful items that are sold commercially.
What Projects Qualify?
All and any, existing or conceptual, design-driven projects, products and ideas from across the African continent are eligible for submission. It’s important to note that unfunded projects will need to raise their own sponsorships, since the WDC 2014 implementation company will focus on promoting and marketing projects but is not in a position to directly fund projects.
Choose the theme that best fits your design initiative and then submit a proposal online here.
The first call for WDC 2014 submissions closes on Friday 5 April, 2013.